Top 4 Tips for Choosing the Best Carbon-Monoxide Detector for Your Family

According to Iowa State University's College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, carbon monoxide is the leading cause of poisoning deaths in the United States, with approximately 3,500 deaths occurring and over 10,000 individuals requiring treatment each year. The trouble with carbon monoxide is that people cannot detect it on their own. It has no odor and is not visible to the eyes. This is why installing carbon-monoxide detectors is so important. The device is capable of reading this gas and alerting homeowners to its presence. Below are a few tips to consider when deciding which carbon monoxide detector is the best for your family. 

A Digital Display

Simple carbon-monoxide detectors simply beep when unsafe levels of about 30 PPM are reached, but these detectors do not reveal the exact level of carbon monoxide present. A digital display will do this, which is extremely beneficial for homes with pregnant women and small children, who are more susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning. Pregnant women and small children begin to feel the effects of carbon-monoxide poisoning much sooner than other groups of people. 

A Backup Battery

Many carbon-monoxide detectors are wired, which means they are connected to your electricity. In the event of a storm or accident that causes you to lose power, you'll also lose the function of the carbon-monoxide detector. Instead, opt for a version that has a battery backup. When the power goes out, the battery will kick in so that you are still protected. 

A Limited-Time Warranty

Just like with other important purchases, the top and most reputable brands of carbon-monoxide detectors come with warranties. These warranties range in length between five and seven years. If anything goes wrong with the unit, it will be replaced at no additional cost to you. Warranties under five years don't really offer much protection, since units typically last at least five years. 

A Strobe Light

A strobe light is an important feature for homes of individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing. Since the beeps will go unnoticed, a strong light is needed. A strobe light works perfectly because it uses intermittent flashes that are extremely bright. These flashes will get the attention of the people who are in the home so that they can quickly and safely exit. 

After selecting the carbon-monoxide detector that will work best for your home, contact a professional to have it installed. This way you know that the installation was done correctly so that you can relax and feel confident that your family is safe.